Saturday, February 03, 2007

Still Goin' Strong

I'm not too sure if anyone is still checking this because I've been a little deliquent on the updates but I'm thinking the notorious ecua-phrase "Mejor tarde que nunca" (Better late than never) can come into play here.

Life in Ecuador is still chugging along. Since the third Ibarra volunteer had a "personal emergency" and had to take off, Kane and I have been teaching three classes per day instead of the standard two but we've made it work. Things with the host family have been going really well although I've recently been informed that I am not allowed to have the boyfriend over past 9 or 10 and I need to entertain him in the formal sitting room with the velvet couches. Life goes on, eh? My Spanish has gotten much better too. I'm planning to take some lessons in town once I get this new schedule under control. We have also started working on a new service project with the Ministry of Tourism to translate the city and province website, maps, and brochures into English so that North American and European guests feel more welcome and comfortable. Until we volunteered our services, they didnt have anyone working at the ministry with sufficient English skills to do the job professionally. I have also developed a new favorite food called fritada which is basically Ecua-stir fried chunks of pork in a savory spicy sauce with the usual trimmings of avocado, corn on the cob, and salad. Yum.

I've somehow made it through 5 months here; last weekend's mid-service marked the halfway point of my journey. We had our midway conference at the beautiful eco-lodge Alandaluz near Puerto Lopez. The resort was gorgeous, comfortable, and even the food was great but the best thing about the place was the whole resort was contructed from recyclable materials and produced no waste whatsoever (they even use biodegradable toilet paper) and thus it is deemed a self-sustainable eco-lodge. If you ever want a tranquil vacation on a private beach in basically the middle of nowhere with travelers from all over the world and the occasional surfer filming a documentary, Alandaluz is your best bet.

To make up for my shortcomings as a blogger, Ive included some pictures to fill you in on what I've been up to the past 2 months including mid-service, the surfing lessons in Montanita and a few of Mindo. Mindo which is an up and coming tourist attraction/ small village known for its beautiful butterfly farms, natural waterfalls, river tubing, and breathtaking orchids.
http://dartmouth.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2021915&l=146a1&id=512844

I also made the much-needed trek back to the chi for X-mas and was so happy to be able to spend a week with my wonderful family. I then made a pit-stop in St. Louis for my friend Pete's wedding. Kane and Peter's whole fraternity was there and it was so good to reunite with the whole Dartmouth crew. You can check out pics here:
http://dartmouth.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2021013&l=6037d&id=512844

Today I am heading to Quito for a pre-Superbowl party with my fellow Chicagoan Bears supporters. Of course, I am bringing the chili. Tomorrow we are going to watch the game from one of the 5 Irish-pubs in the mariscal district and scream our heads off.

I wish you were all here to see my rendition of the 2007 superbowl shuffle.

Hasta Pronto,
Ally

2 Comments:

Blogger stas63 said...

Still checking. With all you have going on, hard to believe you have any time at all to give updates.

9:46 AM

 
Blogger The Bowler said...

Can you guys do me a favor Ally and please come back to Chicago, mmmkay? It's Opening Day, the Cubs first pitch of the season is in an hour and I'm worried that this summer won't stand a chance against last summer without you two.

-Donny

12:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home