Monday, November 27, 2006

!Dale Correa!

Yesterday evening the presidential election results were announced, making Raphael Correa the newest incoming Ecuadorian Chief of State (and Head of Government). Nearly everyone I know here in Ibarra is calmly pleased about the results; I can`t believe how remarkable anticlimatic today has been. The unofficial results came out around 4 pm and then the official results came out around 7. By 10, nothing remotely pertaining to the election was on any cable news channel, including CNN international. Does this seem strange to anyone else? When there is a presidential election in the states, the live coverage starts days before and never seems to end. The results are followed with official speeches, interviews, protests, etc. I just cant believe it. Nothing. Tranquility.

My mom called last night after she did a little internet research on Correa. She was not excited that I would be governed for 8 more months by a person with increasing ties to Venezuela's Hugo Chavez. Correa has been far from subtle about his anti-Bush sentiments. But this is exactly what they are....anti-Bush sentiments...and to a lesser degree anti-NAFTA sentiments. Not to be confused with anti-American sentiments. Even my very leftist Ecuadorian friends here are the first people to embrace Americans for their independent thinking and openmindedness. In fact, when compared with my experience living amongst the Barcelonians in Spain, I find Ecuadorians to be extremely pro-american. The average Ecuadorian has a great deal of respect for our country and many make it their dream to visit or live in the states. Ecuadorians, to a great degree, model their culture on American movies, culture, and fashion and most importantly covet our education system. My point here is that my mother should not be worried, at least not yet. The Reds have by no means invaded Ecuador so everyone can relax with the McCarthyism until further notice. The fact is that the United States and other first world countries use Ecuador as a cheap source of oil, labor, and food. With Correa now in power, hopefully he is going to make these things a little harder for the US to access, and life little easier for the average Ecuadorian citizen. Besides, Mom, Correa is an alum of the University of Illinois School of Economics. Go Illini!

PS- In case you were all still wondering, my host dad did not win the local election. Better luck next year.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Bowler said...

Hey Ally! I was totally unaware of this blog until now! Seriously, what the hell is going on with me!?! I'm glad you guys are doing well and I plan on doing some serious catch up reading tomorrow! Miss you guys.

-Donimal

P.S. Are you coming to Chicago for X-Mas?

12:04 AM

 
Blogger Ally said...

Yes, I will be home for X-mas so let's definitely hang. And can you come visit us or what? The latin ladies love gringo men and I love donimals.

3:15 PM

 
Blogger Amanda said...

ally--
what's your address down there in ecuador?
amanda

12:30 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home